Military Criminal Defense Attorney Patrick J. McLain
Attorney Patrick J. McLain is a former U.S. Marine Corps military judge. He has practiced military law and criminal defense since 1990 where his first jury trials were held in Saudi Arabia deserts during both operations Desert Storm and Desert Shield. His government service ended with his work as a federal prosecutor in Dallas, where Patrick served in the general federal crime and computer crime sections.
Patrick McLain is home based in Dallas, where he also handles cases in both Texas and federal criminal defense matters and in federal courts throughout the U.S. Patrick McLain also has a worldwide military law practice; representing servicemembers in courts-martial, administrative discharge boards, officer misconduct matters, physical evaluation boards, as well a great variety of administrative military matters.
Patrick McLain does not practice law in Veterans Administration matters, and his state criminal law practice is limited to Texas.
YEAR STARTED FIRM
Over Thirty Years as a Trial Lawyer
- 100% of Practice is as a Trial Lawyer
- Graduate of, and former Alumni President, of Gerry Spence's Trial Lawyers College
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals
- Army Court of Criminal Appeals
- Navy-Marine Corps Court of Criminal Appeals
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court of the District of Columbia
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. – 1990
- University of Dallas, Irving, Texas
- B.A. – 1980
CLASSES AND SEMINARS
- Adjunct Instructor, Emory University School of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
- Adjunct Instructor, Southern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas
- Adjunct Instructor, Naval Justice School, Newport, Rhode Island
- Adjunct Instructor, U.S. Air Force Judge Advocate General's School, Montgomery, Alabama
- Adjunct Instructor, Center for American and International Law, Plano, Texas
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Texas Super Lawyers®, a Thomson Reuters Business, as published in Texas Monthly, 2009 – Present
- AV Preeminent® Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- D Magazine's “Best Lawyers” List, 2009
- Outstanding Career Attorney Award, Judge Advocates' Association, 2002
- Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal, 2002
- Meritorious Service Medal, Navy-Marine Corps, 2002
- Meritorious Service Medal, Navy-Marine Corps, 1999
- Commendation Medal, Navy-Marine Corps, 1996
- Commendation Medal, Navy-Marine Corps, 1993
- Achievement Medal, Navy-Marine Corps, 1991
- Champions and Finalists, Mock Trial Team, Thelen, Marrin, Johnson & Bridges Competition, 1989
- Achievement Medal, Navy-Marine Corps, 1987
- Achievement Medal, Navy-Marine Corps, 1986
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- President, F Warrior Board (Alumni Association for the Trial Lawyers College)
- American Inns of Court, Member, Mac Taylor Inn of Court, Dallas, Texas
- Judge Advocates Association Inn of Court
- Federal Bar Association, Member, Government Relations Committee
- Federal Bar Association, Past President, Dallas Chapter
- State Bar College of Texas
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers' Association, Member
- Dallas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Dallas Bar Association, Member, Continuing Legal Education Committee
- Dallas Bar Association, Member, Criminal Justice Committee
- Dallas Bar Association, Member, Client Grievance Committee
- Dallas Bar Association, Member, Criminal Law Section
- Judge Advocates' Association, Life Member, Board of Directors
- Knights of Columbus, Third Degree, 1977 – Present
- Boy Scouts of America, Cub Scout Leader
- Virginia Commonwealth Governor's School, President
- Louisiana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Life Member
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Northern District of Texas, Dallas, Texas, Assistant United States Attorney, 2003 – 2004
- U.S. Marine Corps, Supervising Defense Attorney, 2001 – 2002
- U.S. Marine Corps, Supervising Prosecutor, 1999 – 2000
- Piedmont Judicial Circuit, U.S. Marine Corps, Trial Judge, 1996 – 1999
- Yokosuka, Japan, Supervising Prosecutor, 1993 – 1996
- Southern California, Supervising Prosecutor, 1993
- Southern California, Supervising Defense Attorney, 1991 – 1992
- Southern California and Saudi Arabia, Prosecutor, 1990 – 1991
- United States Marine Corps, 1982 – 2002
Bases we regularly visit include, but are not limited to: Davis Monthan Air Force Base, Barry M Goldwater Range Air Force Base, Luke Air Force Base, Yuma Proving Ground Army Base, Yuma Marine Corps Base, Camp Navajo Army Base, Fort Huachuca Army Base, Fort Hood Army Base, Fort Bliss Army Base, Fort Sam Houston Army Base, Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, Naval Air Station Fort Worth, Lackland Air Force Base, Brooks City Air Force Base, Dyess Air Force Base, Goodfellow Air Force Base, Laughlin Air Force Base, Randolph Air Force Base, Sheppard Air Force Base, Camp Bowie Army Base, TX- Camp Bullis Army Base, Camp Mabry Army Base, Camp Stanley Storage Activity Army, Camp Swift Army Base, Martindale Army Airfield Army Base, Red River Army Depot Army Base, JRB Fort Worth Navy Base, Naval Air Station Kingsville
Recent Blog Posts
Frequently Asked Questions About the Camp Lejeune Justice Act
U.S. Army announces mandatory COVID vaccine for soldiers
Department of the Navy establishes deadline for vaccination
What do Trial Lawyers do?
Why Hire a Civilian Attorney?
“A lawyer that is there for you 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Without his help I don’t know where I’d be.”I was being held at a Special Court Martial and facing forfeiture of two-thirds basic pay per month for one year, one year confinement and a bad-conduct discharge. The charges being accused were two specifications of wrongful abuse of a controlled substance and one charge of assault. At first I w...
“Professional and extremely ethical, outstanding lawyer. Choose him and you can’t go wrong!”Patrick did an outstanding job with my formal Physical Evaluations Board for the Air Force. He kept me on task with what was needed and is a great taskmaster. He was professional and extremely ethical, which is a great thing when it comes to a lawyer. He was successfully able to argue for a full ...
“He assured me that he would take care of me and prove my innocence, and that he did.”Mr. McLain took on my case in its infancy over two years ago. As the case grew, it was also pushed back several times. The best way to describe the case could be the biblical account of David and Goliath. Mr. McLain not only took on my case, but he internalized it and gave it his whole heart. At ...
“Mr. McLain not only saw me through the roughest time of my life but he saved my career.”I was a Command Sergeant Major with 28 years in the Army facing 68 years in prison under General Court Martial for fraud and various other trumped up charges. Mr. McLain put me to work right away helping to prepare my own defense. His skill and diligence was apparent from the very beginning. His ...
“Passionate about his work and devoted to doing the best job.”“I recently hired Mr. McLain back in June of 2013. I was facing a General Court Martial for allegations of Rape and Sexual Assault as well as unlawful force. This could have placed me not only behind bars for life, but worst of all I would have lost my loving family to include my wife and three c...
“Always made me feel as though I was his most important client, and was knowledgeable on all subjects.”He completely cared, took my case personally, always made me feel as though I was his most important client, and was knowledgeable on all subjects. I give him the highest rating possible and totally recommend him to anyone who is
“His confidence, persistence and reliability allowed me to realize that I had made the right choice.”It has been one year now since Mr. McLain helped rescue me from the worst experience I have ever gone through in my entire life. Furthermore, there is a reason that I remember it so well. I remember feeling like there was no hope and that no matter what I said, nobody would believe me or give me ...
“He conducted my defense brilliantly and always seemed to be 10 steps ahead of the prosecutor. I was found NOT GUILTY.”I hired Patrick J. McLain in April 2014 after consulting with a handful of other lawyers who never had any confidence in my case. I had an extremely difficult case where the military was going all out against me. I was facing sexual assault charges, being a registered sex offender for life, confi...
“Look no further, he is the best. The smartest decision I ever made!”Mr. Mclain guided me through the hardest part of my life. I had spent almost 5 years in the Marine Corps when I received false allegations of illegal drug use (positive urinalysis). I mistakenly made a statement to CID and then started hunting for lawyer afterwards. I interviewed multiple lawyers...
“The BEST decision I ever made was to hire Patrick Mclain as my lawyer.”Patrick saved my career!!! I am a Navy officer whose urinaylis results were found positive for a prescription painkiller ——-one that was not my prescribed medication. The reason for the results was found to be not due to misconduct; I am retiring under honorable conditions and will enjoy the bene...
“Performing miracles just seems to be something Patrick J. McLain has perfected.”Patrick J. McLain handled my case from half a country away with expertise and precision. Patrick and his staff are always ready and willing to answer any question myself or my wife were able to conjure. I felt comfortable from day one in his care. He was able to win a victory in a case that seeme...
“I won my military case due to his diligence, knowledge and experience in military law.”I cannot recommend Patrick highly enough. I won my military case due to his diligence, knowledge and experience in military law. Had I proceeded on my own, I would have lost, for the process was simply too complex. When working with Patrick, there was never a time when I felt left in the dark on ...
“The best attorney that you can hire. I cannot sing enough praises.”Patrick McLain is the best attorney that you can hire. I received mobilization orders from the Army and didn't know what I was going to do. I decided to file for an exemption but to my surprise there was almost no information to be obtained on doing so. I found Patrick and after discussing my sit...
“Handled my case with great professionalism and dedication. Top professionals.”The start of your defense to any charges/allegations is to not talk/give a statement to anyone. I was facing a Special C-M with 15 years of active service in the AF. I called Patrick late at night and after 2 days of questioning by AF OSI. He returned my call within 15 minutes and we discussed my...
“Very confident and displayed excellent knowledge of the law.”Patrick is a stand up lawyer. I was facing a Sexual Assault case with 22 years of service. He understood my situation and provided me with sound advice. Patrick was very flexible and family friendly, he took time to speak. Throughout each level i.e. Art 32, Pre-trial Hearing, Motions Hearing, Pat...
“Very confident and determined person in his ability and he will get the job done. If you want to win hire Patrick.”I was struggling with trying to receive a medical retirement from the Air Force. The AF proposal was to give me a 0% rating for a medical condition that was service related. I was told an AF lawyer would be assigned to represent me in the Formal Physical Evaluation Board. I thought this would be ...
“Your future and life are too valuable to mess around with so don’t settle for anything but the best.”We hired Mr. McLain to represent our son who was facing a court martial and jail time while serving in the Army. After discussing the facts with my son and his family, Mr. McLain chose the best course of action to take and fought aggressively to have our son discharged with good paper. When this ...
“If you need someone on your side, to fight for your rights, this is the man for the job.”I worked with Mr. McLain a few years ago. I was having a hard time deciding on a lawyer to help me get my retirement from the Air Force. I had been the victim of a sexual assault and the Air Force decided to give me a medical discharge for PTSD. I was very upset and didn't feel I should be the on...
“Amazing strength and integrity with the combination of experience, insight, and knowledge of military law.”I have found my lawyer Patrick McLain, to be honest, right to the point, consistently giving me realistic outcomes through the whole process of my case. He's definitely no nonsense, cut to the chase. As a client…I've never been left hanging; he makes sure all my correspondence is returned. He's g...
“There is no way I would have won my case against the U.S. Army without him representing me.”I used Mr. McLain in January of this year. Mr. McLain and his staff did a great job of keeping me informed of my case, and always made me feel like I was there most important client. I have no reservations recommending Mr. McLain to anyone in need of a trustworthy and
“Mr. McLain could not possibly have been more understanding, knowledgeable and professional, an ace at his job.”Because of my foreign birth, my Air Force career seemed unjustly doomed. Mr. McLain could not possibly have been more understanding, knowledgeable and professional. He took the facts of my case, and because he knew exactly how to express exactly what needed to be expressed, my case didn't even go...
“Mr. McLain aggressively handled my case, provided outstanding guidance and kept me informed. OUTSTANDING!”With 18 yrs of service I was going to a show/cause hearing with the possibility of ending my career and losing my retirement. I contacted Mr. McLain, provided him the details, and he was up front and straight forward with me about my situation. After thinking it over, I hired Mr. McLain to defend...
A direct, experienced and passionate lawyer who fights for his clientsWhen I hired Patrick Mclain based on a recommendation, I didn't fully understand how military justice worked. He immediately built tremendous trust with us and told me that he fights hard for his clients. I hired him after one phone call, without ever meeting him, while he was overseas in fact. ...